Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Quiet Time Felt Books - Part 2


 
Here are more pages from the quiet time books...(If you missed Part 1 check it out to see what you will need to begin and I hae links to many site that inspired this project.)
 
 
The Refrigerator and Plate:  Cut out a large piece of grey felt for the refrigerator. Sew a line across to divide the freezer and the fridge. I hot glued on the rectangle handles and “FRIDGE” sign.  I used a bowl to trace and make the plate and then a bowl that was a little smaller to draw a line inside the first one to sew a second line around. I used white felt to cut out the silverware. Get creative with your sandwich items; I made lettuce, bread, an egg, cheese, tomato, and  bologna. The place where I was inspired for this page went even further and got some printable felt and made a little tub of butter, I love that idea! (Check it out HERE)
 
 
The Ladybug: Use another bowl to help you cut a circle out for your ladybug. Cut a small half circle for the head and sew it on. You need to find a zipper for your ladybug’s back (I found this itty-bitty one at Joann Fabrics). Cut a slit down the middle of your large circle as long as the zipper of your choice. Sew your zipper into the middle of the slit and sew your ladybug onto the page. I used a sparkle black felt for the ladybugs spots and hot glued the white Velcro onto the ladybug’s back and spots.




The Ducks and Fish: This page was inspired by: The Crafty Chicks. It is pretty much as it looks, I did a little hand-stitching on the sun, large duck and seaweed but other than that is was done on the machine. The backs of the duckies and fish have small snaps so they can come off or spin.

 
The Puppy: There are many different ways to do this page (I really like this puppy page too). I picked a puppy idea I liked off of a Cricut Cartridge and went with that. I found the collar and leash clips at Hobby Lobby. To make the page a little more interactive I also have two options that can be snapped into his little dish. Does this cute puppy want dog food or a bone?



Once you have finished each of the pages you need to lay them back to back and fold the edges in and pin them. You can choose if you would like to finish the page edges with a fancy stitch or a simple one. I went with a straight stitch because a few of my page designs got pretty close to the edges. Sew the 6 pages back to back which will now leave you with 3.


The Cover: Lay the pieces of fabric; I used regular cotton material for these, back to back. If you would like to add the binder like the picture below it will just involve a couple more steps. I will explain how to do this mostly with pictures below….

To make the button flap, take a strip of fabric 12x3 inches and fold it in half the long way with the front sides together. Sew a “U” shape and flip it around so the front is now on the outside. Most sewing machines have a button hole option, use this to sew a button hole onto the middle of the rounded end of your button flap.


 

Now lay the material you have ready for the cover on top of each other with the front sides out.  (To make the covers a little firmer I also added a piece of the clear tablecloth plastic in between the cotton pieces, one thing to keep in mind is that the plastic does make a little bit of a rustling noise…so the “Quiet Book” cover isn’t so quiet, oops) Insert the button flap into the side where you would like it. Fold with edges in about 1/2inch and pin them. Then sew a seam all the way around, I would suggest you get a little fancy with this stitch. Maybe use a color that will make it stand out a bit more to add some pizzazz to the edge of your cover! Sew On the button and you are finished!!!


 
Great job!!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment