Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Entryway Table

When I was thinking about how to do the Family Tree and how big I wanted it to be I also wanted to find a way to add a small table to our entryway to set mail, keys and other items on when you walk in the door. I thought a trip to Menards might bring some clarity to my idea and it did….as I browsed the aisles I stumbled upon the answer. As I headed down the aisle with items one would need to assemble stairs a very simple solution came to me! I purchased 1 step, 2 stairway spindles and 2 cans of white spray paint (I got glossy paint; it really seemed to give it that finishing touch). Oh, and one small piece of wood for securing the step to the wall (This will not be seen so if you have a small board laying around that would be perfect for this, I used a 1.25x.75 piece that was about 2 feet long.)

 
Step 1: For this project you will need a basic understanding of a couple power tools or know someone who would love to help you with this first step. I used a chop saw to clip the corners of the step (with 2 little boys running around we try to minimize potential hazards). Then you will also need to trim the spindles down to the desired height of your table.
 
Step 2: Lay out a ton of newspaper or cardboard outside and get to work spraying the step, spindles and small support board. Like I said above, I used white but this is the step where you can personalize your table to your home and personality! You may need to spray a few coats of paint on the wood to get complete and even color.

Step 3: Now get your tape measure, pencil, a level, screw gun and your beautifully sprayed boards. Use the tape measure to measure the height of the spindles on the wall and mark it with your pencil. Place your support board at the very bottom of that line and screw it into the wall. Use the level to make sure that it is even because your shelf will sit upon this so if it isn’t straight your shelf won’t be either. Next set the step on top of the support board and screw a couple screws down into the back of the shelf going into your support board. (You may need someone to help hold the step while you do this and the spindles) Last part, place the spindles under the table in the place you would like them to be and send a screw down through the step into each one.
 
Step 4: Touch up a bit, cover the screws with a little white paint. Spray some paint on a plastic plate and use a Q-tip to dab paint over the screws.
 
~ A couple weeks after I finished our entryway table I decided I wanted another shelf added so I could put a basket there for the boy’s hats and mittens. I am not talented enough to do this…my husband actually took that part of the project on himself. He added a ½ inch piece of plywood, attached it to the wall like above and put screws through each of the spindles into it giving it maximum support.

No comments:

Post a Comment